Can A Minor Bring Forward a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Florida?

Can A Minor Bring Forward a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Florida?

verdict settlement

Your worst nightmare has come true and your minor child has sustained injuries due to another party’s negligence. Because of his or her injuries, your child requires medical treatments that you might not be able to afford. But can your child sue the responsible party per the Sunshine State’s laws? If you need to know, please read on, then contact one of our experienced Orlando slip and fall accident attorneys to learn whether a minor can bring forward a personal injury lawsuit in Florida.

Is a Florida minor allowed to file suit for personal injury?

No, minors in the state of Florida can’t bring their own personal injury claims. Thus, in the event of a minor child sustaining injuries in an accident, the legal guardian of the minor, usually his or her parent or grandparent, must bring the claim on behalf of the injured child.

How does a parent or guardian file a personal injury claim on behalf of a minor in Florida?

In the state of Florida, parents or legal guardians can sue for two types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages relate to the financial burden of the minor’s injuries including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Hospital bills
  • Doctor’s visits
  • Physical therapy
  • Any and all medical treatments

Conversely, non-economic damages relate to non-monetary damages, including:

  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Disfigurement
  • Pain and suffering

If your minor child has suffered in any way because of the negligence of another person or party, you should reach out to one of our skilled Orlando, Florida personal injury attorneys to discuss your next steps.

How can an Orlando personal injury attorney help you?

First of all, an Orlando personal injury attorney will inform you of your rights and responsibilities as they pertain to your child and his or her case. A qualified legal representative will also collect, prepare and present the evidence needed to prove your child’s case in court. He or she will provide guidance so that you, the parent or guardian, can make informed decisions on behalf of your child. You and your child do not have to undertake this process alone. Please give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Orlando firm

Our firm understands the repercussions of a serious accident. If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you should not have to fight the uphill battle for financial compensation on your own. When you hire one of our attorneys, you are hiring a devoted, caring, and aggressive attorney who will tenaciously fight for your rights. If you or someone you know was injured in an accident and wishes to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to contact Attorney Schmitt of the Florida Personal Injury Law Team today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts