What You Need to Know About Labor Day Drunk Driving Accidents in Florida

What You Need to Know About Labor Day Drunk Driving Accidents in Florida

Labor Day is a day where many people celebrate a hard year’s work. Of course, consuming alcoholic beverages is a way in which many celebrate holidays with friends and families, and this is fine, as long as those people do not get behind the wheel of a car afterward. Unfortunately, this happens more than we’d like to think, and if you are someone who is hit by a drunk driver this Labor Day, you most likely now require financial compensation to heal. Please continue reading and speak with our knowledgeable Orlando personal injury attorney to learn more about drunk driving accidents and how we can help you after being injured in one.

What can I do if I am injured by a drunk driver?

There are few things more jarring and potentially devastating than being hit by a drunk driver. However, if you can take certain steps after your accident, you increase your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. First, you should call the police, who will test the driver for intoxication levels which may be the best way to prove your claim. They will also report the incident. From here, you should gather witness contact information, take pictures of the accident and your injuries, and receive immediate medical treatment. Finally, you should retain the services of an experienced Florida personal injury attorney.

To learn more about what to do if you have been hit by a drunk driver in Florida, simply click the video below.

What is Florida’s dram shop law?

Most states in the U.S. have dram shop laws in place. This is because they believe that oftentimes when a drunk driver causes an accident, they are not the only ones to blame for doing so. Dram shop laws are in place so that when someone is injured due to a drunk driver, they may file a third-party lawsuit against the person responsible for their injuries. In Florida, the dram shop law states that when an establishment, such as a restaurant or bar, serves alcohol to a person who is either under the age of 21 or is “habitually addicted” to alcohol, and that person gets in his or her car and causes an accident, the person injured in that accident may sue both the driver and the establishment that negligently served that driver.

Contact our experienced Orlando firm

Our firm understands the repercussions of a serious accident. If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you should not have to fight the uphill battle for financial compensation on your own. When you hire one of our attorneys, you are hiring a devoted, caring, and aggressive attorney who will tenaciously fight for your rights. If you or someone you know was injured in an accident and wishes to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to contact Attorney Schmitt of the Florida Personal Injury Law Team today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts