Slip and fall accidents are not as common as, say, car accidents, however, they can happen just about anyplace, anywhere, and this is part of what makes them so jarring, and potentially life-altering. If you have been wrongly injured in a slip and fall accident, whether in a parking lot, sidewalk, or otherwise, you must continue reading and reach out to our experienced Florida personal injury attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through every step of the claims process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What should I do after sustaining an injury in a slip and fall accident?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, as long as you are physically capable, you should take several steps to document the incident and bolster your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. Those steps are as follows:
- Call 911. The police will document the accident and send an ambulance that will transport you to a hospital for treatment.
- Take pictures of the safety hazard that caused your accident.
- Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their name, phone number, and email address.
- Ask your doctor for all medical documentation pertaining to the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Retain the services of an experienced Orlando personal injury attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence needed to prove that the property owner knew, or should have reasonably known about the unsafe conditions present, failed to take action to fix them, and that you were injured and suffered significant damages as a result via a premises liability claim.
How long am I allowed to wait to file a lawsuit for an injury in Florida?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may wish to wait until your injuries heal to see if filing a lawsuit is absolutely necessary. While many people do this, we cannot advise you to do so, as there is a statute of limitations in place governing how long individuals have to sue. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Florida is, generally, four years, you will, generally, have four years to sue. If you wait too long, you will most likely be denied your right to compensation. That is why, in most cases, it is best to take legal action sooner, rather than later.
To learn more about slip and fall accidents in Florida and how our firm can help you, click the video below to hear from Attorney Schmitt himself.
Contact our experienced Orlando firm
Our firm understands the repercussions of a serious accident. If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you should not have to fight the uphill battle for financial compensation on your own. When you hire one of our attorneys, you are hiring a devoted, caring, and aggressive attorney who will tenaciously fight for your rights. If you or someone you know was injured in an accident and wishes to schedule a consultation, please do not hesitate to contact Attorney Schmitt of the Florida Personal Injury Law Team today.